Friday, October 24, 2008

Adapting the Book

Were there any moments in the book that were not shown in the play? What were these moments? Why do think the playwright, Lois Lowry, chose to not include specific moments from the book in the play? If you were the playwright, what events from the book would you remove or add back into the play, and why?

23 comments:

Mrs. Biermann said...

I don't quite remember if there were any moments from the book that were cut off of the play. The playwrite chose to only include certain moments from the bookk. I think this is because there might have been some instants where they didn't think some parts that were in the book weren't that important to be in the play. I would add to the play a flashback of when John was being forced to eat the dog food off the floor. I don't think I would any part out of the play. I think everything in the play fit well together and flowed from one scene to the next.

-Darian -Milwaukee -Golda Meir

Mrs. Biermann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Biermann said...

I don't remember if there were any parts in the book that were not in the play. I think the producer picked the right and important parts out of the play.the play kept the audience attention through out the play.A part that I liked that was in the play was when John's mom was on the phone with the social worker and she was kind of getting upset. The most saddest and happiest part in the play was the end when John went back to his mom.

Rickesha -Milwaukee - Golda Meir

Mrs. Biermann said...

Personally, I do not remember any part in the book that were not included in the play. Although, some of the scenes where John was being abused. Still, they included the general idea of what John went through. I mean, you can only make a play so long.

Adetola - Milwaukee - Golda Meir

Mrs. Biermann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Biermann said...

Personally, I do not remember any part in the book that were not included in the play. Although, some of the scenes where John was being abused. Still, they included the general idea of what John went through. I mean, you can only make a play so long.

Adetola - Milwaukee - Golda Meir

Mrs. Biermann said...

I did notice that the dream sequences were rather brief and cut off. Im not sure why Lois Lowry abbreviated these, seeing as how they are important plot points in the story. If I wrote the play, I'd try and extend on the dreams.

Weston - Milwaukee - Golda Meir

Mrs. Biermann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Biermann said...

The only things that the producer maybe should have added from the book, would probably be some of the dream sequences. There were many more dreams in the book than there were in the play and I think that the producer should have added a couple more dreams. I still think the producer did a good job with the play.

Mrs. Biermann said...

I know there were moments in the book that were not shown in the play, I just can't remember what they were. If I was the playwright I would leave it the way the was. It flowed almost perfectly.

~Madison Cox~Golda Meir~Milwaukee~

Mrs. Biermann said...

I don't quite remember all of the scenes but I think that there are some parts of the book that was not included in the play. The parts in the play that were included I think the most important parts. The producer added the right parts and took out the right parts. If I were the playwright I would have added all of the scenes that were included in the play and I would have taken out all of the parts that were taken out.

Danielle-Milwaukee-Golda Meir

Mrs. Biermann said...

Like other people said, I don't remember any of the scenes that were cut out. lots of the scenes were adjusted so they could be put in the play, but none were taken out. The only things that weren't there were the flashbacks from John. Also, the dream sequences weren't as long or showed as much as in the book. Some things like the sinisteeds were not shown as much; In the play in Milwaukee, only the sinisteed heads were shown and the hoard only contained three sinisteeds. The other scenes though were great because they were just like the book and was easy to follow. Although there were these things taken out, I thought it was okay because the main story was easy to understand and had a good relationship with the actual book.

Paul-Milwaukee-Golda Meir

Mrs. Biermann said...

The only things that the producer maybe should have added from the book, would probably be some of the dream sequences. There were many more dreams in the book than there were in the play and I think that the producer should have added a couple more dreams. I still think the producer did a good job with the play.

Samuel Alioto-The World-North America-The U.S.-Wisconsin-Milwaukee County-Milwaukee City-Golda Meir

Mrs. Biermann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Biermann said...

I don't think that any of the moments in the book weren't shown in the play. The play covered certain moments from the book that were important, but I think that the play should have been a little more detailed on the important moments. The events that I would add is more of the part when John was having flashbacks and that we knew that he was having a flashback because some of us got confused of when the play was continuing or when the past memories came up.

Sabria-Milwauke-Golda Meir

Mrs. Biermann said...

I don't remember any moments in the book that weren't in the play. I think they only chose some instants from the book to be in the play, because maybe some parts of the play were not that important. I think that if I were the playwright I would add more dreams to the play, because there weren't that many dreams in the play.

Devin- Milwaukee- Golda Meir

Mrs. Biermann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Biermann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Biermann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Biermann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Biermann said...

I don't really remember the book that well but I don't think that the play missed that many part. I think the play captured the big moments in the play.


Jalen- Golda Meir- Milwaukee

Mrs. Biermann said...

SOme things that should have been included are the dream sequences and the explanation on how the old lady found Toby.



Chris - Milwaukee - Golda Meir

Mrs. Biermann said...

There were many moments (such as a few dream scenes and objects around the house) that are not included in the play. I think Lowry chose not to put some scenes as time constraints in the play. If I were the playwright I would leave the play the way it is because this way it isn't overwhelming or underdeveloped.