Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Welcome to the conversation!

Hi. I'm Kay Spielman, School Services Manager for OCT. I've worked for OCT in varying capacities for fourteen years. I am very interested in OCT advocating discussion of the stories that we place on stage and how they can connect to and inform our personal lives. Gossamer offers more meaty, adult topics in which we can delve than say Click, Clack, Moo: Cows that Type (which OCT will mount in January 2009), but each of our shows will offer something that you can take home with you and discuss amongst classmates, friends and family members.

This is the first time OCT has used a blog for classroom use. I am curious to know if it is a useful tool that eventually we could use for each of our productions. Critical Thinking. Listening. Contributing. Connecting with others. Dialog. That's what I hope for.

3 comments:

Mrs. Biermann said...

Greetings from Milwaukee! My name is Sarah Biermann, and I'm the middle school language arts teacher at Golda Meir School in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The seventh grade students are up and running, using the website to post their wonderful thoughts. Blogs - what a grand idea! My students have been most interested in writing responses to the questions posed, and more importantly, connecting with other students in Portland.
However, we're not sure when other students will begin submitting their posts. We look forward to making a connection in the near future!

Sincerely,
Sarah Biermann
Golda Meir
Milwaukee, WI

ks said...

I am also puzzled why students from Portland are not chiming in the the discussion and it's a concern to me. Possibly some teachers are waiting until their performance date to participate (performances in Portland are Oct. 16 - Nov. 7. Nonetheless, they'll be getting another tickler from me to join the group. Your class and their comments have been really great and frequently insightful. I LOVE the questions your students posted. Keep up the great work!

Kay Spielman
OCT School Services Manager
Portland, OR

Mrs. Biermann said...

Hello there!

It's just Sarah Biermann here again, and I'm wondering where everyone else is?

The students in Milwaukee watched the play "Gossamer" and read the book in September. We were under the impression that other students would be participating in the blog project around the same time.

Because so much time has passed since our experiences with Lowry's newest novel, we are going to pose some questions unrelated to this specific story. We hope to strike up other literary conversations soon!

If no one is planning on participating, please let us know.

We look forward to a response in the near future!

Thank you!